Thursday, June 27, 2013

Week 3 - June 3-10

This week, Alexandra and our friend leena came to spend four days with me in Marseille. While I was at work, they toured Marseille, they took the boat tour of the calanques, and they went to Aix en Provence. After I finished work, I met them at the Old Port and we would walk more around the city. I showed them my favorite stores and my favorite streets. One of the days, we hiked to the beach, which they really enjoyed.


One of the nights, for dinner, we went to a small pizzeria. The owner was really nice and his son, who also worked there, was very funny. It was cool that they made the pizza right in front of us.
We talked a bit with two other men who were there; they wanted to talk a bit about the differences between the United States and France. After several conversations with my French, I have the impression that the French like Americans in general and the country, but they do not like the higher education system and the health system because they are very expensive, some politics, and the international role of the United States because they are too heavily involved.


The Vieux Port

La Canebière - one of my favorite streets


This weekend was pretty chilly so I decided to go to the Museum of Civilization in Europe and the Mediterranean. Because it was opening weekend, admission was free! After that, I went shopping and I bought some postcards for friends in the United States.
The museum


At work, I am answering more phones calls and I think I speak more easily than at the beginning but I still need to improve! One of the duties I really enjoy is bringing the candidates to the room of their oral. They often ask me where I come from. People have asked me if I'm from Brazil, Argentina, Italy, Israel ... so there is no consensus about my accent! I also ask them where they come from (many candidates come from Lyon, Marseille, Strasbourg).

1 comment:

  1. Answering phones in French? I'm impressed! It is certainly a challenge to speak on the phone in a foreign language!

    It's great to read that you have so many opportunities to speak to French students. I'm sure your French will be greatly improved by the end of your internship!

    ReplyDelete